Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Red Threads (Hillary's take on it)

I just read Danielle's post, and I agree that our date in Montreal brought up a lot for me. Yes, yes, it was hilarious, and we will write a new blog post later (as well as write about our New Haven, CT, date...which was equally, if not more ridiculous), but for now, I want to appropriate East Asian cultures (collectively?) and talk about the concept of the Red Thread.

According to Wikipedia (seriously, how did I get through high school without Wikipedia?):


The red string of fate, also referred to as the red thread of destinyred thread of fate, and other variants, is an East Asian belief originating from Chinese legend and is also used in Japanese legend. According to this myth, the gods tie a red cord around the ankles of those that are to meet one another in a certain situation or help each other in a certain way. Often, in Japanese culture, it is thought to be tied around the little finger. According to Chinese legend, the deity in charge of "the red thread" is believed to be Yuè Xià Lǎo (月下老, often abbreviated to "Yuèlǎo" [月老]), the old lunar matchmaker god who is also in charge of marriages.

I love this idea, and have been appropriating it for many years now...but a tad incorrectly it seems, because I always thought that red threads could be numerous, and that they would not only connect me to potential romantic/life partners, but just important people that I was supposed to meet in life. 

This trip is a journey along red threads that have been attached for a long time now, as well as on new threads that are being tied with every date we go on. My grandfather used to say, "The more you love, the more you love," and I honestly believe that. As Danielle shared, some people have questioned our motives for this trip, but I never have. The more people I meet, the more joy that comes into my life. That's it. It's simple. 

After each date, Danielle and I come home (alone, oy) and discuss what occurred. While we normally laugh hysterically throughout these discussions, the bottom line that I often take away from our talks is that we have always been glad we said 'yes' to the date--no matter how tired or disillusioned we felt going in. We weren't even going to go on the Montreal date last night. The guys were very late to pick us up, and we were having a lot of trouble coordinating without cell phones, etc. We were about to throw in the towel, when they finally showed up to take us out at 9 PM. 5 hours later, when Danielle and I came back to the hotel room, we began to talk about each of the men, and I realized that I somehow cared deeply about each of their lives. Is this the therapist in me? Is this healthy? I don't know. All I do know is that these were strangers to me a few hours ago, and now here I was, sincerely hoping that each one of them finds someone or some thing to make them happy. 

I am consistently amazed at the amount of people in the world. I am sometimes overwhelmed at the thought that I could never know each of their stories. So, I guess this trip is about that, too. As one of our astute Charleston dates told us about himself, "I collect people." I've been carrying that concept with me since that date. Danielle and I have been collecting people left and right, east and west, north and south, US and now Canada. We've been listening to and sharing stories. Laughing, getting serious, toasting to new beginnings and new friends, perhaps to budding romances through one of these many connections. 

The friends, co-workers, and family members who have set us up on these dates and opened their homes to us on this incredible journey are carried with us as well. I am overwhelmed by the effort and love they have put into finding us men who will open our hearts again. I don't know where I would be without all of you. From near and far, you make me feel loved and appreciated every day. 

My ankles and pinkies and wrists and waist are tied to so many red threads now. They pull me in many directions, expanding my mind and my heart with every new city, every new date and day on this trip. I couldn't be more honored to be connected to each and every one of you. Thank you, thank you, thank you. 

1 comment: